Crisp, cold mornings and steaming hot drinks to soothe the soul – autumn is here and it is sweater weather at The Cottage in the Wood Malvern. We love to wake up to see the mist move across the Severn Valley below, with promises of a new day and new possibilities. Be surprised and delighted by what you can discover in The Malverns. From festivals and walks to local produce and driving tours – here are our top five things to do during an autumnal break in Malvern:
- The Autumn in Malvern Festival runs from 23 September – 30 October 2022 and is a series of artistic events and exhibitions where you can see and hear from prestigious musicians, poets, painters and filmmakers – and most sessions are free. There are classical concerts, organ and choral recitals and local poets reading their own poetry, along with guided walks and spotlight sessions on local artists.
- Some of the best walks in the country can be found right on our doorstep, and they take on a different light during autumn. Explore miles of staggeringly picturesque walks across rolling hills and meadows – anything from a leisurely stroll in the woods surrounding the hotel, or a more challenging route amidst hills ablaze with colour, soaking up the views across the mid-Wales mountain range. The hotel’s guided Power of Nature Walk with forager Clare Knivett is the perfect chance to reconnect with the natural world, with top tips on forest bathing, foraging and learning about the benefits of spending time in nature.
- Wind in your hair and the hills all around – The Malverns is ideal for a driving tour. Take in the autumn scenery as you wind your way through quaint villages, rolling hills and open stretches of road, and stop to take in the view at a selection of viewpoints along the route. On the 15 October, head to the Morgan factory for Meet at Morgan – Autumn Classics where there will be a line-up of classic vehicles for you to peruse or book an experience drive and hire a Morgan for a chance to try one of these great British automobiles. Alternatively, head to Eastnor Castle for Land Rover Driving Experience – we have a great package that includes dinner, bed and breakfast and the chance to put your driving skills to the test!
- Autumn is about comfort and feeling cosy, and we are all about that at The Cottage in the Wood. Sip an autumn cocktail on our heated terrace, tuck into a warming Sunday Roast or try Head Chef Rob’s new seven-course tasting menu, infused with autumnal flavours and local produce. You can also head into town for The Great Malvern Gin Festival, which is taking place between 6-8 October, showcasing over 100 locally produced gins and tonics in Great Malvern, with live music, too.
- The beauty of the Malvern Hills has long been known for capturing the imagination of writers including J.R.R Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, who were inspired by their visits to this unique part of Britain. Follow in the footsteps of literary greats and take in a literary festival! The impressive Cheltenham Literary Festival runs between 7-16 October, presenting the best new voices in fiction and poetry alongside literary greats and high-profile speakers. This year there are more than 500 events and close to 1000 authors and speakers, promising an international literary celebration like no other.